Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An October Treasure



I wanted to discuss a topic that is near and dear to me: wildflowers! The Ozarks have some of the most beautiful wildflowers in the world. I do not grow any wildflowers in my personal garden, but I have made room for some in the yard. In addition, I just think that is a great topic.




One of my favorite October flowers is the sky blue aster (aster oolentangiensis). It is found throughout the Ozarks in prairies an open, rocky sections of the woods. To me, it has an almost purple color that is beautiful to behold. I first became familiar with this flower via my dad, who taught me to locate them during turkey hunts! (Turkey happen to like them!)




They grow to about 3 feet tall, and have leaves that are very rough. The leaves are kind of heart shaped, and get around 5" long, and 2" wide approx. The flower gets about an inch across, and has a yellow base. The buggers grow like weeds.




Next time you are in the woods, see if you can locate them. The color is a true October to Early November treat!




Ray Province


The Celtic Ozark Garden

No comments: