Sunday, May 23, 2010

Snap Peas

Well, I have not had much time to blog lately, but I promise to make up for it. The combination of cool weather, no frost, and lots of rain brought in a very nice crop of snap peas this year. My peas are now taller than my fencing that holds them.

They started putting on blossoms around 7 days ago. That is a significant sign for me, because that usually starts the beginning of the peas. Sure enough, the rule of thumb has proven true this year. I found my first pealets of the season. That's a good think too, because we jumped to around 86 degrees in the Ozarks the last couple of days, and that will not make my peas happy.

The snap pea is part of my Celtic Ozark Spring garden. They don't mind a little cold weather or snow, but frost is not good. I planted them around St. Patrick's Day, and we got our last day of frost around April 4th. Had to cover them once.

They make a great salad addition, or you can even eat them raw from the garden. I also like to make a stir fry out of them. They are a nitrogen lover, and like full sun and plenty of water. In our case, we had a fair bit of snow last winter, so that really helped the natural nitrogen level.

Can' wait to pick them.
Ray Province
The Celtic Ozark Garden

No comments: