Sunday, February 21, 2010

2010 Trip to Baker Creek Seeds


Had my chance to go back out to Baker Creek Seeds for the first time this season. It was a rainy day, but that did not damper my spirits. I got to take two friends to the shop for the first time. A couple of hundred dollars later, we were ready for the gardening season.

I went and found some old friends this year, to come back to the Celtic Ozark Garden. For one, I grabbed some beefsteak and Arkansas Traveler tomatoes. I really want to get some BIG tomatoes this year. Both of these varieties will not let you down.

The Blue Lake green bean and purple top turnip will also be coming back to the Celtic Ozark Garden. Last year, I did golden glob turnips, and a different green bean. Both of these are easy to grow, and great crowd pleasers in the Ozarks.

Baker Creek was also carrying onion sets this year, so I had to grab some white onion seeds, to see what they would do. I'll let you know how my 1/2 lb. bag fends. I've never been dissapointed with Jere Gettle's seeds, so I doubt I will have a problem with the onion sets.

I also decided to add some capnip to the garden this year. It will make quite a treat for the cats. Especially for my little black cat, who loves to drink a little whiskey with me! Here's to happier days, Corporal!

This week I will be getting my tomatoes in planting compartments, so they can begin to grow. I try to get them in around 8 weeks before the last frost date, which for me is April 15th of each year.

In the next article, I am going to share a full run down on the Spring Garden, including some other dates that I will start seed.

Live from Baker Creek Seeds,

Raymond C. Province
The Celtic Ozark Garden

No comments: