Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Japanese Beetles Come to the Celtic Ozark Garden


Well, I am very sad today. Japanese beetles have come to the Celtic Ozark Garden. I have found the little pests in my apple trees, and my beautiful Cascade hops. I don't think the beetles understand that I can live without apples, but I can't live without fresh hops for my homebrew. Argh.



The Japanese Beetle is a real threat to the Celtic Ozark Garden. They will eat grape vines, flowers, and a host of other things. They can destroy a garden.

The best way to get rid of the pest is with a bucket of soapy water, and a butterfly net. Catch the bugs, and drop them in the soapy water. The water kills the Japanese beetles, and doesnt harm the envirnoment. If you use a pure dish soap like Ivory, the water will even be good for the soil. It's one of the ingredients in my liquid fertilizer recipe on this site.

Wish me luck. It may be the Battle of Fallkirk in the Celtic Ozark Garden full of Japanese beetles.

No comments: